European Dream - Alizée - Rêve Européen Alizee Nation: Alizée - a concept album

Pages

Alizee Lyonnet

Alizee Lyonnet

Alizee Search

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Alizée - a concept album

While we have the time let us prepare for what a concept album is...

Time to pull in Wikipedia:
"In popular music, a concept album is an album that is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical".[1] Commonly, concept albums tend to incorporate preconceived musical or lyrical ideas rather than being improvised or composed in the studio, with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story. This is in contrast to the practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected (lyrically or otherwise) songs performed by the artist."

Hmm...preconceived musical or lyrical ideas. Notice it did not say music based on market surveys. A concept is more of a creative expression of an artist. Something the artist had an urge to create. Are you ready...or are you just ignoring me and the facts?

There have been many concept albums and some that have resulting in popular songs. Will it be like Serge Gainsbourgs' "Histoire de Melody Nelson" or more like the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" or The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Or even the unannounced Britney concept collection based on Caligula...(that was a joke...please, just joking)

Check out the Wikipedia article. An Edie Sedgwick concept album... be prepared.

Alizee Nation

2 comments:

wt said...

I think Alizee tends to ignore marketing and does what she feels like doing. What you are saying fits my model of her. It will be fun to see how close you are in your prediction.

Unknown said...

wt, I am saying all this with a smile on my face. I enjoy the discussion. So here goes :-)

I am going to use this example and will probably be crucified for it but...I like to look at Alizee the same way I look at...say...Bob Dylan. I don't think Bob Dylan ignores marketing...he does not do it in the first place. He is an "artist" and I feel that is how Alizee looks at herself. Here I created something what do you think of it.

Still smiling...

Almost laughing...it is not a prediction. Things are not always black or white. I try to introduce grey areas, to bring out possibilities, to keep an open mind....to manage expectations.

So, not a prediction, just a 'keep in mind'...it could be this. That's all.

 

3-column blogger templates(available in 4 different styles)